Wrongful Death Attorney in Houston
Helping Clients Nationwide Find Restitution for Tragic Loss
Losing a loved one is difficult, regardless of the circumstances. Knowing that this death could have been prevented, however, makes it all the more difficult to cope with. If you have lost a loved one as the result of another’s negligence, recklessness, or unlawful actions, you may be entitled to financial compensation.
At The Webster Law Firm, we understand that no amount of money can fully compensate you for the emotional affliction this circumstance has caused you, but it can serve as a means to help you recover financially. Our legal team has represented clients in complex personal injury claims for more than 120 years, giving us the insight needed to help you reach an outcome you deserve.
Speak with a Houston wrongful death lawyer today at (713) 396-5197 and ensure that your rights and interests are defended. We serve clients across the U.S.
If you are a surviving spouse, parent, or adult child of the deceased, you can file a wrongful death case against the accountable parties. Furthermore, if you have been named the executor in the will of the lost loved one, you can seek legal repercussions. It should be noted that a sibling of the deceased may not pursue litigation in the form of a wrongful death claim.
How long do I have to file a claim?
The statute of limitations for wrongful death claims are the same as general personal injury cases, two years. The subtle difference is, you two years from the date of a loved one's passing not their accident which may not be the same date.
When negligence results in a fatality, whether it is a construction accident, truck accident or an airplane crash, immediate family members have the right to pursue compensation from all responsible parties. A wrongful death claim is not limited to one defendant; in fact, it can name anyone whose negligence contributed to your loss. An attorney can help you determine who is liable for your loss.
Those that might be held accountable could include:
- Manufacturer - If someone dies due to a product failure, it is usually the manufacturer who is found responsible. This is typical in particularly damaging cases involving products liability claims.
- Employer - If your loved one perished while on the job, you may be able to hold them accountable for unsafe work conditions or neglecting to maintain required equipment and machinery.
- Medical staff - Providing improper emergency attention or failing to maintain a sterile and safe environment while hospitalized could lead to the wrongful death of a loved one. The medical staff responsible for the care could be held accountable for your financial compensation.
- Reckless individuals - Although it might seem like an open-and-shut case, when a loved one dies due to the recklessness of another – such as in a car accident – it can be difficult to pursue restitution without the assistance of a wrongful death attorney.
- Criminals - You can file a wrongful death claim against individuals who have already been convicted of the criminal act that led to your love one’s death, such as murder or manslaughter, and seek compensation for punitive damages.
What does a wrongful death cost me?
While the loss of a loved one is certainly one of the most trying experiences you can face, the extent of the damage caused may be greater than first expected. The emotional trauma and lack of stability can have harmful repercussions that affect numerous aspects of your life. Likewise, the financial impact of an unexpected loss can affect you for years to come.
Potential costs of a wrongful death include:
- Earning capacity for your family
- Support around the house and your personal care
- Mental and emotional strength
- Feeling of love, comfort, and place in society
- Possible inheritance
Schedule Your Free Consultation with our Lawyer
The Webster Law Firm recognizes that no two cases are the same and we pride ourselves in giving unique and personalized attention to each of our clients. Our Houston wrongful death lawyers have the experience and knowledge necessary to adequately address your claims while maintaining a comfortable and professional atmosphere that takes as much stress as possible off you and your family. Let our compassion and familiarity with the law protect your rights and build your case while you focus on recovering from your grief.
Contact us today to discuss your case and get a free initial consultation!